10 Do’s and Don’ts for Junior Tournament Players
by Grace Leake
PTR Certified Tennis Professional and Former Junior Tournament Player
- Don’t show up right at the time of your match. Come at least 30 minutes early and check in at the tournament desk!
- Do introduce yourself to another player and ask them to warm up with you before your match!
- Don’t rely on your parents to pack your racket and water bottles for you.
- Do get what you need set out the night before the match (clothes, rackets, snacks, etc.).
- Don’t be nervous! You’ve been on a tennis court before and you know how to hit a forehand and backhand. Today is no different.
- Do bring a notebook onto the court with you with 2 or 3 things that you want to work on during your match (you can review them when you change sides).
- Don’t pay too much attention to who your opponent is. All you need to think about is getting the ball in the court one more time than they do.
- Do thank your parents for driving you and rooting for you!
- Don’t bring just one racket with you. You’ll want two in case you break the strings.
- Do pick a song to sing to yourself in between points. It will help you relax!